WELCOME!

Welcome to my new blog, "The Wellness Pantry"

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Ken and Terri’s “Get Your Get On” Smoothie



Several people have asked me about smoothie recipes.  If you google “smoothie recipes”, you’ll likely enter a world that is a wee bit overwhelming to say the least.  There are millions!  So in an effort to “simplify” the process, I figured I’d share our own favorite, go-to breakfast (or any other time of the day) smoothie!

For starters, if you’re going to enter the world of “blended nutrition”, you’re going to want a device that can actually make your smoothie “smooth”.  We use a Nutri-Bullet.  Not the fanciest, or priciest device out there, but it gets the job done.  Some of the cheap/Walmart style blenders will work, but like I said, you want that smoothie smooth!  So, you may want to spring for something that is built for the job!  We picked up our Nutri-Bullet at Krogers for $69.


With that being said, let’s go!


Step one:  Add greens.  I fill my blending cup about half full with a mixture of kale, spinach, and swiss chard.  We get ours at Costco and yes, it’s organic!







Step two:  Add berries/fruit.  I generally add 3 to 4 frozen strawberries, about ¾ cup of frozen blueberries, and a frozen banana.  If you’re trying to cut calories, you can forego the banana, or maybe just add half a banana.  The banana adds some nice sweetness.




Step three:  Add some almond or cashew milk.  I can’t really say how much.  You’ll want to play around with this until you get the consistency you enjoy.  I like mine thick, so I use less.  I’d start with a cup or so and go from there.  By the way, you can also just use water instead of milk.  The nut milk adds a lot of creaminess to the drink and if you use unsweetened vanilla, it’s only about 30 calories.













Step four:  Add some protein powder.  Again this is optional, but I can tell you adding protein will keep you satisfied for much longer, and you won't get hungry as quickly.  Plus, the protein is a nice boost, especially if you are exercising.  You’ll want to stick with vanilla or unsweetened powder here.  I can’t imagine chocolate would be that great, but that’s up to you!  Try to go with a “natural” brand of protein that stays away from artificial sweeteners.  That stuff will kill you!  You can get the brand shown below at Krogers.














Step five:  Blend it up, drink it up, and know you just chugged some serious nutrition!

Got questions?  Leave a comment!



No comments:

Post a Comment